Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Broad Rice Noodles with Chiles, Pork and Basil

A quick and easy meal that both my kids love. I usually serve it with peas or fresh steamed green beans and whatever bread/rolls I have. I'm open to side suggestions on this one if anyone tries it. It has a Thai food feel/flavor to it. Lark
4 servings
Time: 30 minutes

8-10 ounces rice noodles (fettuccine-width – found in the Asian section of the grocery store)
3-4 Tbsp. peanut (preferred) or other oil
½ - 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
5 small dried hot red chiles, or 2-3 Tbsp. dried chile powder
½ pound ground meat, such as beef, turkey, or pork
3 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. sugar
2-3 Tbsp. rice (preferred) or other vinegar
1 Cup shredded fresh basil leaves
Salt, if necessary

Place rice noodles in pot of boiling water. Separate noodles with a fork a few times while boiling. Boil for a few minutes until they are soft. Drain and toss with 1 Tbsp. oil.
Heat the remaining oil over med-hi heat in a wok or large, deep non-stick skillet for a minute or so, until the first wisp of smoke appears. Add the garlic and chiles and cook, stirring, for a minute. Add the meat and turn the head to medium. Cook, stirring and mashing with a wooden spoon to break up clumps.
When almost all the traces of red or pink disappear, add the soy sauce and the sugar; stir to mix. Add the drained noodles and toss and stir to combine. Add the vinegar and the basil. Stir and taste; add salt if necessary.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Lark, do the chilies make it too spicey for kids? --Laura

Lark said...

No, it really is mild. And you can use a little chile, or a lot. I usually use dry chili powder because that is what I have, and so I just put in a different amount every time. This has been one of AFton's favorite meals since her 1st birthday. It has never seemed to bother her. The chili flavor doesn't stand out as much as the soy sauce and garlic.

Paige said...

that is an easy sauce that tastes good. I had to use red vinegar because Eric practically drinks rice vinegar so I can never count on it being in the house.

Anonymous said...

It is apρrоpгiatе time tο make some plans fоr thе futuге and it is time to be happy.
I have гeаd thiѕ post and if I сould I
desirе to suggest you some interesting things or advісe.

Maybe you сοulԁ ωrite neхt аrtiсles referring
to this artiсle. I desire to гead eνen more thіngs abоut
it!

Feel frеe to visit my blοg pοѕt dallas seo company